NOTE: The Sugar Beet Museum will reopen in July (Sunday 5 July).  There will be no meetings for the present time.

The Sugar Beet Museum on McMahon Drive (opposite Empire Place) is housed in the original office and weighbridge building from the Sugar Beet Factory.

The main room tells the story of the local industry – the only one in Australia to produce sugar – and looks at the growing, harvesting and processing of the beet.

A second display room features local businesses and changing displays.

The recent display looks at the construction of Glenmaggie weir – originally built to provide a reliable water source for the sugar beet industry and ensure good returns for the growers. But the irrigation of the district led to farming heading in quite a different direction.

The museum is open from 10 am – 1 pm on the first Sunday of each month, or by appointment for groups.

An early view of the factory after the addition of the sugar store (at left) in 1925.

Contact Maffra and District Historical Society on maffrahistory@outlook.com or phone 0437 296 925 or 0448 441 740.